19 May 2007

A Life of Modesty

I've decided to take an active stance on modesty. It's not like I was really immodest before but I want to be consciously modest. While this refers to dress in part it is not the entirety of what I am pursuing. I'm talking about modest attitudes, actions, life. I want to actively pursue a modest life.

I believe this coincides with what the Apostle Peter was getting at in 1 Peter 3 (v.1-6 but specifically v. 4). I think, a gentle and quiet spirit stems from a heart of modesty. I think this also helps to answer the question of what biblical womanhood looks like.

So, great. I want to live modestly. What does that mean? Well, I've thought about it and here's what I have come up with thus far:

-> I will dress in such away as to bring attention to the Creator NOT the creation (myself)
-> I will speak graciously and with out exageration and useless or strong words (this includes swearing and words that aren't considered swearing but used in their place)
-> I will live within my means ( not just within but also guarding against unnecessary accumalation)
-> I will be "slow to speak, quick to listen, and slow to anger"
-> I will be generous
-> I will be humble
-> I will avoid gluttony of any kind

I am quite sure there are more practical things that I should be pursuing but this is a start. If you think of other things let me know! I can NOT possibly do any of this on my own! This is going to be really hard and require tons of God's amazing grace and even the help of friends. If you see anything amis in me -- PLEASE point it out! Help me pursue modesty to it's fullest and so glorify my Maker and Bridegroom by becoming biblical woman.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am against swearing without purpose but I believe that sometimes things just call for more powerful ear-catching words. I am in full support of your desire for biblical modesty. As a guy, I don't know how much I can do to be modest. I certainly don't dress scandalous, and I don't have the rippling muscles (yet) for a muscle shirt. Be careful not to fall into legalism but I fully support your desires. What sort of things in your most humble opinion could a guy do to be modest?

trent

Laura Michelle said...

Modesty in a guy is a harder thing. Stephen and I were talking about this last night when we were walking home. Girls aren't visual the way guys are. Because of that I don't think modesty is the same kind of issue with guys but here's what I do notice as a girl and would ask guys to avoid:

->DONT take your shirt off. Seriously, I know that people say it's fine but that's a really good way to get a girl thinking in the wrong direction quickly. (yes, this includes swimming, sorry)
->Don't wear girls jeans
->Don't show your boxers (if we shouldn't show you our underwear you really shouldn't show us yours:) )
->Don't wear tight shirts

Thats all I got. And honestly, I think most of the guys I know (yourself included) avoid these things pretty faithfully.

As far as modest actions... excessive swearing and spitting are not very modest and the things like humility and avoiding gluttony still apply to guys.

I can't really think of much else. Things look different on a guy than on a girl and girls aren't wired the same way...

Maybe I should have published this as another entry... :)

Thanks Trent :)

Rachel said...

Hey Laura,
Great thoughts. You're a great encouragement to me to actually act on what we heard about modesty.

Guys - I totally agree with Laura. Also, it is uncomfortable when you suddenly jank off you sweatshirt and your tee shirt comes off with it or if you wear gym shorts under jeans and take the jeans off infront of a group before playing a game.

I could write more but I'll leave if for my blog. :)

RG

Anonymous said...

That's a great ambition. It will be difficult, but with God's blessing, a great testimony.

The most direct references to modesty that I can recall refer specifically to women, but some of it still applies to men. I can specifically think of the cautions for the tongue, and 1 Thessalonians 4:11 (make it your ambition to lead a quiet life). Also, the Bible mentions meekness which carries some of the same ideas, as Christ's example shows. But men have a responsibility for having (immodest?) boldness and vision that are not required of women in the same way.