05 February 2008

A New Rebuttal to an Old Issue

Riverbend Church is my mom's "home away from home" church. I have visited there several times and have a few friends there. I greatly respect the senior pastor, Dr. Hargrave.

My mom called today and pointed me in the direction of Riverbend's website because she found yesterday a delayed response to a sermon given in October of 2006 by Dr. Jerry Vine. Dr. Vine is a former President of the SBC and highly respected by many within the convention however he is not always agreed with. The sermon was delivered at his home church and was in regards to the dangers of Calvinism.

Dr. Hargrave considered responding shortly thereafter but decided against it on the grounds that the sermon was given only to Dr. Vine's local congregation. As of June 6, 2007, however, the Florida Baptist Convention (FBC) has printed the sermon and sent it out to all within the FBC.
For this reason Dr. Hargrave has reconsidered and decided to write an open letter in response to the sermon.

I myself have not yet in their entirety. They are a bit lengthy but a very interesting read to be sure. Check it out.

No comments: