03 March 2008

Lessons From a Flower

There are crocus in clusters sprouting up all around the yard. Around the tree and by the sidewalks they are growing in bunches. The one that caught my eye though was in the middle of the lawn. All around it there is dead grass, twigs that have fallen from the tree, and even dead leaves from last fall. All of that waste and yet it blooms.

I noticed it this morning while I was having some quiet time and praying. My prayers are far from joyful this morning. Though most of the time I don’t mind it because I’m content with just Christ, today I sat on the sidewalk terribly aware of just how single I am. Why am I nearly twenty four and yet to be in a relationship? Is this what You want for me? Should I just plan to be single? And how can I plan to be single when I feel so strongly that You have called me to serve my husband and family? And really, God. How can I have this calling and be so single?

I remember asking that question of my mother when I was home a while back. Her response was that God never gives a calling that He doesn’t not intend to fulfill. Right. And yet, here I am. I’m like that flower. I am out in the middle of nowhere. I’m on my own in the culture surrounded by dead souls. I have Christ who I can talk to but never see. And that’s all. Is this all You have for me?

I sat there and prayed for the flower and myself. Then I noticed something. Almost invisible amongst the dead grass and leaves, right next to my friend is another crocus. This one has not bloomed yet. So, my little friend is alone but not for much longer. So, God, are you saying that once again I’m being impatient and the timing isn’t right?

There you have it. I’m being impatient once again. God, forgive my impatience and help me to be satisfied where I am with what I have. Christ is enough.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful gift from God, my dear! Just be patient, and soon your crocus will bloom with beauty that is beyond imagination!